Vermicomposting TheBarOf's take
We decided to build our own bin after seeing the various design, and not to mention outrageous prices. even though being on the foothills and having a cooler climate then the heart of the city, it still gets a bit on the hot side here. So I opted not to go with plastic, after some research decided that wooden would be best. For ease of construction and higher breathability.
As I have the fortunate luck of my other half being a retired woodworker (I think he is going to go back into it lightly, he has forgotten how much he loved it) I had excellent help. He did the planning, the cutting, the fitting, well pretty much most of the parts that have to do with wood. LOL He loved it and took the project in firm hand. He did show me out to use the two guns, nailer and stapler. I also installed garden meshing, it is plastic was mostly easy to mess with, and stands proud of the bottom to everything stacks properly.
After putting everything together adjusting the fit so that it all fit properly. Found that a certain order helped each one fit snugly. Then had to unstack and spray the outside with water-proofing, making sure that the ends were properly saturated so it won’t wick to the rest of the board. Then got a paste wax for the inside that was suitable, as not to poison the worms, and the resulting black gold.
The project is mostly done, there is still one fix that needs doing, but the other half is fixing up his grill. (complete tear down, cleaning-scraping off the layers, repainting, and also build wooden side trays) so Once he is done with that I will be able to enlist his help again to fix the thin lid. But other then that it is perfect.
Learned that the micro climate here is not very safe to have the bin in the backyard, so its new home is in the garage. The winds managed to blow up the lid, the worms immediately went south and hid out in the bottom most layer, luckily I lined it, using a cut to size trash bag, so there was no dry out and losing of the worms. Transferred them back in, and moved it.
Well looks like I was able to sum it up in one post instead of the two I figured.