First Machine Project
To get used to my new silver Reed knitting machine I decided to pick a simple pattern and make a triangle shawl. I used almost the whole bed, and it took forever. Well not really, but it was a great practice piece. Also it looks so very nice. I will be very happy to wear it.
I am now just getting the piece cleaned them I am going to semi block before I knit the edging, by hand as I have some great books on edgings. However it is mill yarn and it has the oil on it.
I have already experimented with the swatch, and as it was smaller it didn’t take as much. I am having to soak it in whistling hot water, twice as the first soak yellowed the water with the melting oil, so I soaked it again, then rinsed it. Now I am doing a light simmer with laundry detergent and dish soap to help get rid of the stubborn oil. After 10 min, the water is almost as dark as the first soaking. Nasty stuff that mill spun oil is. So I will be rinsing once more for a another simmer, before I do a simple wash to get the soap off. Already the piece has opened up and it is draping very nicely, even wet as it is.
Looking forward to the first reveal.
And silly me, after taking out the shawl from its simmer pot, the water left behind is actually worse then the first soak. What oil are they using. Goodness, that stuff is pernicious.
Given the condition of the oil, I have decided to do a quick rinse and spin on my front load machine with a tish bit of vinegar. The oil smell has almost disappeared, the rinse in the sink still had suds, so now the final simmer with just water. That disgusting oil is almost all gone. The last soak was a lite simmer for only a few minutes, the gunk is all gone. Next step is a light block before adding the edging.
And here is the final result, it is just so nice soft and drappy.